UVF Terror Leaders Order Weapons Dumps to Be Opened Amid Failed Boris Protocol

UVF leaders have authorized the opening of weapons dumps as they prepare for a doomsday Protocol Day.

Nits across the country have been put on hold pending the verdict on controversial legislation to be passed by parliament which, if passed, will effectively tear up parts of the EU withdrawal treaty.

The Sunday World understands that the terrorist leaders are ready to put the organization on a “war footing”.

Well-placed sources have reported that firearms and ammunition have already been removed from landfills and placed with UVF units across Northern Ireland.

Leaders were thought to have backed away from pursuing a campaign of violence against the protocol after community groups in loyalist areas were warned that state funding would be at risk.

The Irish government has already launched a comprehensive audit of all grants given out by Dublin since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

close


Loyalist weapons seized – but many more succeeded

Loyalist weapons seized – but many more succeeded

The British have indicated they are not expected to follow a similar path, but loyalist leaders no longer doubt the civic disruption will have consequences for their community.

And at a time when communities are grappling with the cost of living crisis and many families are reliant on food banks, they risk alienating their own people.

But the Sunday World understands the leaders feel they have little choice, having taken the position that the protocol must go.

It is highly likely that the controversial legislation presented to parliament earlier this week will not garner enough support to pass.

The bill establishes green and red channels for the smooth flow between the North and Britain, with the government saying it also protects the open EU market.

But it drew scathing criticism from all but Stormont’s Unionist parties as well as Westminster’s Labor party, all of which accused Boris Johnson’s administration of flagrant breaches of international law.

The UK’s international isolation has been further underscored by US condemnation and EU legal action.

It is in this context that the leadership of the UVF prepares for armed action.

“They feel like they have no choice,” our source said, “and as we all know they have access to guns. There may have been a takedown at the time. , but not everything has been handed over and they have been rearming for years.

There has even been speculation that weapons from a huge arms shipment smuggled into the country from South Africa in 1988 could be busted.

The cache, which was split between the UVF, UDA and Ulster Resistance, was partially intercepted, but it is estimated that a third of the consignment got through and was concealed in sealed landfills.

Largely in the hands of the shadowy Ulster Resistance, weapons and ammunition are kept for a “doomsday scenario”.

‘It could be closer than we think,’ our source said, ‘if the Irish Sea border is not removed, Northern Ireland is effectively cut off from the rest of the UK – if it’s not a doomsday scenario for the loyalists, I don’t know what is.”

The DUP said there was no prospect of a return to Stormont as long as the protocol remains in place, but with the prospect of legal action from the EU and no guarantee of sufficient support in the House of the Commons and even less in the House of Lords. , the best they can hope for is negotiated change.

But with the UVF and the loyalist paramilitary umbrella group, the Loyalist Communities Council, saying nothing short of abolishing it will do, observers say a return to some form of violent campaigning is inevitable.

The rise in tensions comes at the end of a week in which two prominent loyalists appeared in court on charges related to the seizure of an arms cache in Belfast earlier this month.

Belfast Magistrates’ Court has heard police believe a man charged with firearms offenses carried weapons to a meeting with high-profile loyalist Winston Irvine.

Robin Workman (51), of Shore Road in Larne, was refused bail. Workman, along with Irvine, 46, of Ballysillan Road in Belfast, were arrested the previous week as police investigated a security alert which led to the evacuation of Irish government minister Simon Coveney from an event of peace. Irvine appeared in court charged with firearms offenses last Saturday.

Workman was charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition in suspicious circumstances, possession of a prohibited firearm, possession of a handgun without a certificate and possession of ammunition without a certificate.

A PSNI Detective Inspector told the court he could link Workman to the charges.

During the hearing, a defense attorney asked the officer if it was correct that when Irvine appeared in court over the weekend, his attorney suggested he was acting like “a form of downgrading interlocutor”.

The officer said it was implied by Irvine’s attorney.

Irvine was arrested in Disraeli Street after officers observed an encounter with the driver of a red VW van, and officers discovered a number of firearms, magazines and over 200 rounds of ammunition in a holdall in the trunk of his scar.

Workman was arrested in Ballymena later the same day.

“The police case has the characteristics of a paramilitary operation,” a police officer told the court.

“The amount of what is found includes a wide range of ammunition of different calibers.

“Our concern would be that we have recovered a wide range of ammunition with weapons that it is not compatible with, so I think there are other weapons available that this ammunition would marry with.

“Our case is that the applicant transported them to the meeting with his co-defendant to be surrendered.

“So he is aware of other weapons storage locations where this weapons cache was recovered.”

A defense lawyer said Workman denied during three days of interviews with police that he was the person who met Irvine in Belfast.

He added: “This case must be entirely distinguished from its co-defendant.

“His co-accused is a bit of a high profile person. He argued that he would call a multitude of witnesses to attest to his efficiency and work in the peace process.

“This man is not like that, he is a freelance carpenter with no criminal record.”

The district judge denied bail.

Both men were taken into custody to appear again on July 1.

[email protected]

Download the Sunday World app

Download now the free app for all the latest Sunday world news, crime, Irish showbiz and sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Martin E. Berry